Temperament choice, Beethoven 5th Concerto

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:16:11 EST

<< How many of those taking part in this discussion of orchestral intonation
have played in professional orchestras?  >>

Although I haven't participated in this particular discussion, I do have
experience as a string player in professional orchestras.  String and wind
players, as well as singers do not usually play in just intonation.  They play
or sing with vibrato which by definition is anything but just intonation.

If one is playing or singing with a piano where this instrument can be clearly
heard and is a solo instrument or dominates the others such as in a small
ensemble, the temperament can affect the intensity of the vibrato that is
used.  Sometimes, if the harmony is very still and quiet, such as in a final
ending cadence, the intonation may resolve to being just or nearly so.

Some choirs, when singing certain music may sing with no vibrato and attempt
as nearly to just intonation as possible.  Although I have never been an early
music performer, I recognize the kind of just intonation that comes from
certain of those groups too.  In general however, modern performers use a
vibrato which lends a certain warmth to the sound.  It would not be considered
good performance without it.  Small ensemble players do, in fact, complain at
times that a piano tuned in ET provides a certain conflict because its vibrato
is preset in a manner which is inconsistent, if not in opposition to the
music.  A piano tuned in a WT or ET effectively aligns itself with the music.
Since the Marpurg I is an Atonal temperament like ET, it does not improve upon
the tonal alignment.  The Marpurg I simply gives a cleaner sound to 3/4 of the
harmony but does not create any tonality beyond one kind of major and one kind
of minor as ET does.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin