Key level puzzle

Gary and Jean Isaac isaac@wildcoast.co.za
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:02:32 +2

One of the pianos I service at a Teachers College is a Dietmann upright
bought new in 1990.  When I  serviced it six months ago it was in good
contion, but now it has a problem that perplexes me.

Starting from F3 up to the top the front of the key level progressively
rises until it measures a 1/2" gap above the front board.  The keys  are
so far off the front rail that the top key will even play when I put my
key level block under it.   Everything else sees to be in adjustment.
Capstan heights are regular throughout.  Balance rail punchings are the
same throughout.  The back rail  cloth is okay.  Action brackets on both
ends are the same height. The keys are so high off the front rail that
they can even move out of the slots when playing.  When the fall board is
replaced the high treble keys are blocked so that they only way to render
them playable is to shim up the fall board on the treble side.  Adding
height to the back rail cloth brings the level down of course,  but then
the capstans would have to be radically altered.

The music instructor in charge of the pianos says that he suspects the
piano may have been dropped when being moved upstairs.  However, I cannot
see any signs of damage.

Gary Isaac
South Africa