restringing

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:27:42 -0600 (CST)

Les,

   I HATE it when I start getting answers/replies, etc. before I know what
the original question was. Maybe you posted it before I got back onto the
list. Would you post me your original question privately so I'll know what
the discussion is about? So far, (unusual) no one has quoted your entire
post. :-)
   Thanks.

Avery

>>I've had pretty good results allowing about 3/8" for stretch, on a normal
>>sized upright. It depends, also, on how exactly Schaff copied the old
>>lengths. They sometimes make at least some allowance for stretch, but it
>>might vary a little. I assume that they just left off the loops, and gave
>>you overlong plain wire at the bottom end?
>
>	This, Susan, is correct, though they did put a loop down there,
>since their machines demand a loop. Mapes did the strings, though I
>checked with Schaff.  The action is a Renner, about 1912. Nothing is easy
>on this!

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston