what is ethical was Re: tech fees

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:14:05 -0800

Wimblees wrote:

Hi William,
           As you have noted my responses have all centred around the
moral/ethical side of the discussion, but there is a third side, that we
should refer to as base building you business.
 I pride myself on never exceeding a quote, if I have pre inspected the
piano. This is a sound business practice that all customers are very
comfortable with,you get repeat customers darn near every time. Customer
retention is the absolute key to sucsess in our business, balancing fair
pricing,quality workmanship,= retention.
 Scupulous ethics, quality work, professional decorum, and a positive
cheerful attitude, gains results in every business endevour. This
attitude has resulted in our organisation having a 90% market share for
the whole of our trading region.
 Talking with clients, as opposed to talking at them is all important,
listening to clients carefully to hear both what is said, and that which
is unsaid is all important.
 Boy am I digressing or am I on a soap box?
 My previous post mentioned common sense, I was assuming that readers
would see the implications of base building their business. For the most
part we are saying  the same thing, but I think you are looking at the
issue more from the ledger point of view, and I from a customer
relations point of view, the middle ground might be the ideal.
 The danger of this discussion, is that some neophyt, that is slow and
inexperienced, may get the impression that they should be charging the
top rate on an hourly basis, when in fact a basic regulation should be
charged for at a fair market rate, regardless of time taken. If the
individual is uncomfortable with this approach, from a business point of
view, they will always be driving out of town to do country tunings.
 What would be more useful than an hourly rate discussion, is to try and
define a code of ethics and conduct re: pricing, and tailor it into a
business building programme. If more of our members could see long term
benifits in building a business, we would have more involvement.
 Most of the cheap skates in the market are not on the list, nor do they
subscibe to the journal, if we had more to offer in the area of business
training, with ethics training, maybe we would gain some more members.
Just an idealistic dreamers thought?
Kiind Regards
Roger