Daniel Thomas

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:01:17 -0500

The instrument below is a rare example of work by an American builder based
in New York.  I suggest he contact the known owners of two other squares by
this builder,  The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan, and the
University of Virginia, Charlottesville.   The Henry Ford instrument, I
believe has original stringing scale.   The UVA instrument has likely had
some restoration work done.

I also highly recommend that he inform Martha Clinkscale of this
instrument.  She has compiled a listing and book of pianos 1700-1820, and
needs to have this instrument in her database.  .... I've misplaced her
address.

Actually,   he should contact John Watson at Colonial Williamsburg.    He
can give any necessary information on who to talk to about this instrument
and knows well the instrument at UVA.

ab

>**********
>Hi,
>
>I have recently encountered a Daniel Thomas square grand (small) dated
>1816-1835.  Owners are very interested in restoring conservatively.  I
>have done considerable rebuilding but not of this age.  Piano is in good
>original condition except the soundboard is "bowled" having 1/2"
>negative down bearing.
>
>Need to know if anyone has experience with this type board.  Also string
>scale.  Several strings have been improperly replace.
>
>Would appreciate any help.
>
>Carl Sullivan, RPT  # 11236
>
>509-529-4100
>College Place, Wa. 99324   chapter 993
>
>Also, in case anyone looking,  I have a very fine 5' 8" Mason & Hamlin,
>Oak from 1979 for sale.  Priced conservatively at $15,000.  Really good
>original condition.

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.