aftertouch/front rail punchings

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:49:33 -0800

David ilvedson wrote:

> > Date:          Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:27:58 -0800
> > From:          Roger Jolly <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
> > To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject:       Re: aftertouch/front rail punchings
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> I like a nickel thickness and would find a dime's thickness too
> close to level for my taste.  Each to his own.
Hi David,
         Actually I set the bottom of the dip at a variety of different
measurements, depending on the following. front rail felt compression,
with firm pressure on the key, the feel of the width of the sharp when
fully depressed, you should have no sensation of burying. The cosmetic
look of the sharp to the natural re; the slope of the face. Some makes
and models have a significantly higher bottom, maybe two dime thickness.
The dime thickness is the absolute minimum, for correct feel.
Roger