"ad nauseum" {Pedantry Alert}

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@qntm.com
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:33:00 -0800

Tim and list,

Although I am a week behind in the digest, I know a challenge when I see
one.
I looked it up in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate dictionary and here is
what it says:

ad nauseam : to a sickening degree

I think this correctly reflects the current thread... :-)
Oh well, back to the digest.

doug richards
San Jose, CA

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:43:47 -0800
From: Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts <tkeenan@kermode.net>
Subject: "ad nauseum" {Pedantry Alert}

Dear List--

For the enquiring minds out there who care, "nausea" is a
first-declension feminine noun in Latin, and "nauseam" is the accusative

case, required by the preposition "ad". It means "to [the point of]
nausea". There is no such word as nauseum.

Likewise all those other borrowed latin phrases, "ad hominem" (not
hominum) "in memoriam" (not memorium) ad infinitum.....

For those who hate this sort of rant, I did warn you in the subject
line.

Best regards,

Tim

Terrace, BC