Steinway vertical

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Mon, 4 May 1998 22:35:22 +0000

> 1.  Is this one of the difficult-to-tune 1098s?  It measures about 46
> 1/4" high and has the number 45 cast in the plate.

Clyde,

No matter what you've read on the List about Steinway
verticals by all means tune that piano.  I have had some tough
times with Steinway verticals but they do come around the next
time or so.  I tuned a 1098 for a customer who was interested in
piano tuning and wanted to watch me work.  Well, I had a
nightmare tuning with that piano and with her watching over my
shoulder.  Well a year or so later I tuned it again and it was
right in the ballpark and much easier to tune.  They just need
regular service...

> 2.  If so, would you recommend I service the piano (I'm not hurting for
> work), or should I let the Steinway dealer's people wrestle with it?
>
> 3.  It was signed by Henry Steinway on the top surface inside the lid.
> Does that have any specific meaning or does it increase the value of the
> piano?
>
> 4.  When facing the front of the piano, the soundboard appears to have a
> deliberately made saw kerf about 7 or 8" long in the lower right corner,
> parallel with the woodgrain.  What is its purpose?  I never noticed
> anything like this before.
>
> Thank you.
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA