oops! concert panic answer (and question)

Wed, 06 May 1998 12:14:01 -0700

Ron,

You do what you would do for any other piano. If its been in storage for a while it's
probably pretty dirty. Start by pulling the action and cleaning the whole thing. Action,
belly, keybed, etc. Pull the lyre, if necessary and tighten up the pedals. Make sure the
pedal rods work smoothly and quietly. Make sure the trapwork is in workable condition. Now
start on the action. Pull the stack and check it over. How much wear are there on the
hammers? Surface (don't "reshape") them. Clean & Teflon the knuckles. How are the action
centers? Free them or pin them as necessary. Lube them with McLube. Tighten any and all
action screws. Look at the keys and keyframe. How are the key bushings? Replace them if
necessary. How about the keyframe felts? Ditto. Level the keys if necessary. Reassemble
the stack to the keyframe and slide the assembly into the action cavity. Check
hammer/string alignment. Go ahead, try the shift pedal as well. Now just regulate the
action and do a good job of it. It may well be the first time this has ever been done!

Going to the belly, pitch raise the thing -- I'm assuming it needs it -- and check the
strings and bridges. Lightly -- please, lightly -- tap the strings down on the bridges.
Make at least one pass over the front end and level them. Snug down the pinblock screws
and rim screws/bolts. Now tune the thing. It probably won't do much good to fuss overly
long over hammer voicing, but you should certainly even things out after sanding them.

You might also want to spend a little time on the casework. If it is pretty well beat up,
you might consider practicing your touch-up skills. Clean it thoroughly. Maybe even rub it
down with plastic wool and some cleaning polish. It was my experience that both faculty
and students treated a good looking piano better -- and thought better of them -- than
they did one that looked ratty.

Obviously, I'm leaving a lot out here, but you get the idea. There are no magic bullets:
just straight forward piano servicing. There is no reason why these little pianos cannot
play well. How the sound is another matter, but the actions are -- or can usually be made
to be -- serviceable. While this piano will never be suitable for the concert stage, it
can still be a very decent little piano for a practice room, a class room, or whatever.
Aside from attempting to educate them, there may not be much you can do about the teachers
who want to use this piano for concerts or recordings. I'm hoping, of course, that this is
not the best piano they have available for these purposes. Is it?

Good luck

Regards,

Del