Charging for Services

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Thu, 7 May 1998 19:43:49 EDT

<<
 Frank

 How about local PTG chapters "adopting" a piano for a needy
 person/family/institution, use the project as a teaching learning activity
for
 new members and promote the guild in a subtle but useful way in the
community?
 We're looking for ways to promote the guild, the piano and its benefits and
 support the teachers and music education as a whole-why not contribute our
 skills as a means to these ends? Already I can anticipate the +&- feed back
 (flame suit ready), but I think it's worth discussung. Any thoughts?

The Portland Chapter has done something like.  A local university sponsors
pianos for needy people, those w/one parent families, low income, etc.  Fix up
old pianos, donate a tuning, and get them into the hands of those who can
really use them.  Teach Associates how to do some of the work, and gain
valuable experience. And teachers donate their time as well.

This does a lot.  That needy person might be the next Van Cliburn.  It may be
one who plays the piano, rather than get involved in a gang. It is a well
organized event.    These individuals are not one's who rant and rave because
we do not work for free.

Seems quite the contrary.  People own pianos who can afford to pay for our
services but will not.  Yet there are individuals who love to have a chance to
own a piano, but cannot afford it.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR