Re-crowning soundboards

Kevin R. Aldrich KAldrich@CompuServe.COM
Sun, 10 May 1998 22:05:58 -0400

Del,

Thank you for reminding me of your articles.  I had been thinking, if you
can flatten a warped piano lid or table top by putting it on a lawn on a
sunny day, why not warp a soundboard by steaming the top?  The reason why
not, as I understand it, is that a properly crowned soundboard holds the
wood fibers in compression.  It is not sufficient to simply have an arched
soundboard.  Anyway,  I'm not sure it would be possible to put an arch in a
soundboard that was restrained by ribs and a piano rim.

Kevin

Message text written by INTERNET:pianotech@ptg.org

>Kevin,

This is a simple question with a complex answer. I just wrote a three-part
article
recently published in the Journal on the subject. Somewhere in there should
be the
information you're after.

Del

<