Shafer & Sons

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Wed, 13 May 1998 16:10:17 +0000

List,

I have a Shafer & Sons PSO with missing Fallboard "pivot plate"
(from Mason's book).  Does anyone know where parts can be had
for these pianos?  I tried the vice-grips on the hammers of this
piano and the tone improved a lot.  I'll be checking in a couple
of weeks as to the longevity.

Sometime ago I was posting about a "Chickering" 507 with a
damaged "continuous hinge" (from Mason's book).  I ordered a
replacement from Baldwin and installed it with no problems. (I
did repair a couple of stripped holes ala Roger Jolly's
recommendation with 5 min epoxy.  "No CA" he said...what I
noticed was the lack of screw holes in the hinge.  Typically the
long hinge has many such as this arrangement [ : : : : : ].
What this Chickering had was 18 screws holding the two lids
together.  This must be saving money for Baldwin but it is
totally inadequate.  I sure the damage occurred because of the
lack of mechanical attachment aka screws.  My Kawai upstairs has
60 screws holding the lids together.  I think this is a mistake
on Baldwins part in manufacturing.  What thinks the List?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@a.crl.com