Shafer & Sons

Thu, 14 May 1998 07:35:21 -0700

David,

I'm a little curious... Is there a difference in the core material of the two lids? Last
time I checked Baldwin used poplar core ply, with the core material running cross-wise. In
which case 18 screws would probably be adequate. (This might not be true if the grain
direction of the core ran lengthwise to the piano in which case the screws would be going
into the endgrain.)

I have no direct knowledge of the Kawai construction, but have been told it is MDF (can
anyone confirm this?) in which case 60 screws probably would be necessary.

-- ddf