bunches of false beats

A440A A440A@aol.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 21:12:29 EDT

Dick wrote inre false beats in a spinet:

>Can someone tell me what would cause so many all over the piano, & is
>there something that could be done?

   I think they are chiefly caused by poor quality chipping at the factory.
The "strong-armed lad" chipping 20 pianos a day can often be expected to
overshoot the pitch of the string.  NOt enough to break it, but enough to
distort it.
    You couple this cheap labor with a marginal design and or execution, and
you have a real false beat nightmare on your hands.
    Restringing will often help, but is seldom worth it.
Regards,
Ed Foote