Urban Legends/Hoaxs (was Re: Free stuff)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 21 May 1998 09:04:40 -0500 (CDT)

List,

   This is just another of the "urban legends" floating around. See the
Tourbus post below.

Avery

>My wife emailed this to me to pass along.  You may want to take advantage of
>this offer.

Back on 11 December 1997, we talked about an urban legend floating
around the Net that said

     Hello everybody,

     My name is Bill Gates.  I have just written up an e-mail tracing
     program that traces everyone to whom this message is forwarded
     to.  I am experimenting with this and I need your help.  Forward
     this to everyone you know and if it reaches 1000 people everyone
     on the list will receive $1000 at my expense.  Enjoy.

     Your friend,
     Bill Gates

You will also remember that I called Microsoft back in December to
verify this story, and George Shaw, a spokesperson for Microsoft, told
me that the story is "officially not true."

Well, it seems that the "Bill Gates' $1000 email tracing program" hoax
recently morphed ... twice.  The first new story floating around the
Net is that in addition to $1000, Mr. Bill "custard face" Gates is
also going to send the first thousand people who respond to his email
a free copy of Windows 98 (a.k.a. "Macintosh 87").  The second
"morphization" congratulates you for being one of the first thousand
people to respond to Bill's email, and tells you that all that you
need to do to claim your prize is reply with your credit card number
and expiration date so that Bill can credit your account.  [If you are
dumb enough to fall for that last one, please remove yourself from the
gene pool.]

For the record, _ALL_ of the "Bill Gates' $1000 email tracing program"
stories are 100% untrue.  You can find out more about this hoax on the
Web at

     http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blgates.htm

=====================[ TOURBUS Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet TOURBUS - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
      Copyright 1995-98, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
            Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com

Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

PROMOTE your business on the Internet TOURBUS.  Reach over 80,000
    people in a Net-friendly way.  Our sponsors say "It works!"
   Make it work for you - contact BobRankin@MHV.net for details.

Editors: Reprint TOURBUS in your publication for free - Ask me how.
    Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to hop on the Bus!

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893