"Completely Rebuilt"

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 22 May 1998 10:05:39 -0400

If you are considering a major overhaul of an old European upright or a
19th century square grand, I would like you to keep three things in
mind.  I like to use the analogy of a three-legged stool.  One leg
represents the customer's interests. What are their needs for furniture,
musical performance, long term needs, sentimental attachment, etc.  Leg
two represents the piano: it's original design, condition - it's musical
potential.  Leg three is the technician/rebuilder.  Can you do the
work?  Can you address items one and two satisfactorily and still meet
your own financial needs?

Are all three legs the same length?  The professional technician makes
sure they are or walks away from the job.  We like to talk about
long-legged stools, but sometimes a short-legged stool is OK - so long
as it's balanced.

Most pre-war spinets deserve no more than routine service:  Tuning,
regulation, perhaps some hammer filing, maybe replace a set of plastic
elbows.  To do more than this to a piano worth a couple hundred dollars
at best may meet your financial needs, but will rarely improve the
performance/life expectancy of the piano.   At what point do you stop
replacing major components of an old unexceptional car and admit that
it's time to junk it?

Most old square grands illustrate this approach even better.  The New
York manufacturers took their square grands to Atlantic City, NJ and set
fire to them for good reason.  They were inferior musically to the new
uprights and deserved to be discontinued dispite consumers' attraction
to their appearance.

Restoring the modern upright is not quite so cut and dried.  Pianos that
have lived most of their lives in the mid-atlantic region of the US
where I live do not respond well to high humidity and heating systems.
European and west coast pianos may survive better because the annual
humidity swings may not be as severe.  In most cases, old uprights
deserve to be junked: in some cases, repaired.  But rebuilt by replacing
all the major components of the piano?  I want to know how long the
compents will last that you decided not to replace. Then lets compare
the cost, performance and life expectancy of this new and improved piano
with that of a new instrument.  It seldom adds up.

Show me the numbers.

Carl D. Root RPT
Rockville, MD