poll (LONG)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sat, 23 May 1998 17:22:25 -0500

How I learned Piano Technology

I began taking piano lessons at age five (1970) from my mother who was a
music teacher.  We had a brand new Baldwin R grand in our living room, and
I played in a lot of recitals and things like that.  At age 13 or so I quit
taking lessons because of sports and later on because I had a huge 500
customer paper route.  I never resumed taking lessons again until college
where I took two years of music.  My regret is now that I should have
forgotten about sports and just stuck with taking lessons!  Of course as a
foolish teenager, I didn't know better!

My wife and I were married in 1985, and moved to a small apartment away
from the college, so I had to have my own piano!  Of course, being a poor
college student, we bought a 1912 Vose and Sons upright in appalling shape
(cracked soundboard, all the ivories popped off, etc.), and called the
local music store for a tuner.  A blind tuner came out and bolted the
pinblock and the back of the piano together, replaced about 3 or 4 broken
hammer shanks and tuned the piano.  (This was the first time that I recall
ever seeing a piano tuned.  I am sure that my mother had our piano tuned,
but she just probably had the piano tuned when I was at school so I
wouldn't get any wild ideas about the messing with the piano!)  We had the
piano tuned several times by the same man, and I was so impressed that I
wanted to learn to tune for myself.

In 1991 I began a very basic correspondence course, got my first tuning
lever and tuning fork, and proceeded to tune my piano.  Found the piano was
1/2 step flat, proceeded my first pitch raise, and promptly popped a
string!  So after buying a wire gauge, the right size of wire and wire
cutters, I got hooked on tools, and now I have about 6 or 7 tool cases full
of tools!  Since that time I have been avidly reading everything I can get
my hands on about pianos.

>From 1991 to April 1993 - tuning as a hobby for anyone who would let me
touch their piano.

April 1993 - decided to go into business, and quit my full time job (full
coverage insurance, profit sharing, retirement, and five weeks a year
vacation down the drain), and promptly got in debt!  It was amazing how
much I didn't know about pianos but I decided that this was my new
profession!  Folks, don't do this!

1994 - joined the PTG as an Associate

1995 - began taking Randy Potter correspondence course

1997 - passed RPT exams

My training has consisted of:
1.  An informal one year apprenticeship with a very kindly older aural
tuner with 40 years experience.

2.  Joining the PTG in 1994 and reading every issue and back issue of the
JOURNAL I could.  Attending as many PTG chapter meetings, seminars and
conventions as I could afford to attend.

3.  Taking the Randy Potter course (still not finished), and attending the
Randy Potter one week Intermediate/Advanced training seminar.  Reading all
of the course materials, books, and watching all the videos.

4.  A lot of self study, and buying all of the PTG books and reprints.
Buying a lot of books on piano technology from the supply houses.
Borrowing books and video tapes from other technicians.  Learning by doing.
 Tuning lots of pianos, attempting repairs and regulation until I feel
confident now that I won't make a fool of myself!

5.  The INTERNET!  This list is amazing for the information here.  Also,
the online chat sessions with other technicians is very helpful.  And, last
but not least, sending e-mail to other technicians and asking as many
questions as I thought they would answer without considering me a pest!

6.  Attending a one week training session at the Baldwin factory.  Three
day Disklavier seminar.  Several one day dealer tech training sessions.

7.  Personal phone calls and visits with other technicians

Percentages:
1.  apprenticeship - 10%

2.  PTG books, JOURNAL, chapter meetings, seminars and conventions - 20%

3.  Randy Potter correspondence course - 20%

4.  A lot of self study  - 15%

5.  The INTERNET! - 15%

6.  Factory and Dealer training - 10%

7.  Other technicians - 10%

Hope this helps!  By the way, my training is far from over!

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/

#pianotech page:
http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html

New web page for the Joplin Community Concert Association
http://www.concerts.joplin.com