there are enough IPTs ?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 24 May 1998 09:47:41

>> If you take those kinds of notions to heart then you will only
>> become a registered piano tinkerer.
>
>Whatever personal failings we may have, passing a recognized test still
>removes us from the catagory 'registered piano tinkerer'.
>
>> Tom Ayers   P.T.P     (part time philosopher)
>
>Carl D. Root  RPT   (also part time philosopher)

List, Tom, Carl, Michiel, Cyrillus ---

I am sure that none of you should be described as a piano tinkerer. I don't
think that passing the tests affects one's "tinkering status" one way or
the other. Some of the most headstrong and dubious procedures (remember
WD-40?) came from fully qualified people with good reputations.

I tinker when I can find no viable alternatives, and from what has been
written about CA glue, for instance, I think most of the others who
innovate do it for the same reason. It's an alternative to throwing up your
hands and leaving, which does no one any good. Of course, sometimes there
is no alternative to "condemning" the piano, but I always try to find one.

I think that refusing to tinker is also a valid approach, though it
wouldn't suit me.

(my $.02 ...)

Susan, RPT&T

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I march to a different drummer, whose location, identity, and musical
training haven't yet been established."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant