Strobe Tuners

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 30 May 1998 21:49:14 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/98 1:43:00 PM Central Daylight Time, rscott@wwnet.net
writes:

<< The two most common Strobe Tuners (Conn and Peterson) both use
 mechanical means to generate their pattern.  But the SAT is also a
 Strobe Tuner.  Instead of using a mechanical wheel, it uses an electronic
 simulation of a wheel.  >>

Your reply was very interesting and informative and I thank you for it.  Not
being any kind of scientist or having any real knowledge of electronics, I
have to take a step aside here.  However, I can tell you from experience as an
aural tuner who tuned exclusively be ear for over 20 years that the old,
mechanical device that I think of as a Strobe Tuner would not help me at all
to tune a piano.

In fact, it took two years before the SAT became anything better than an
encumberance to what I was doing.  I think of the SAT much like I do of the
computer I am now using.  I grew up without one, never had use for one, didn't
know how to work one but everybody kept telling me I needed one and how it
would make my work so much more easy and efficient.  So far, the computer has
not helped me do any work at all.  My old Smith Corona Word Processor  (which
was hard enough to to learn how to use) still does all my statements to the
dealer I work for and I write all of my postal mail on it.  The E-mail
communication with this computer is mainly what I use it for now and that,  I
really do like and appreciate.

I still use a checkbook and a handwritten ledger because I am used to them and
trying to do it on the computer is way down the road for me. I still keep my
appointments in a hand written appointment book but all of those little
wallet-sized gadgets that people are carrying around now that store all of
that kind of data that can be downloaded on to a computer are starting to look
attractive.

The SAT is able to detect 1/10 of a cent while the old mechanical Strobe
Tuners can only display 1 cent as the smallest increment.  That is what I mean
by "sensitive".  Their ability
to store a program is the feature I like.  Since I never tune in Equal
Temperament, I am not interested in the FAC program and frankly, don't even
know how to program it.

I have discovered that the SAT can find the octave compromise that I prefer
essentially the same way as I do by ear and store the exact value.  I spend 2
to 3 hours creating a program that is aurally satisfying to me but thereafter,
the information can be recalled again and again without error or change.
These features make the SAT useful to me while an old fashioned mecahnical
Strobe Tuner would do me no service whatsoever.

I can and still do tune many pianos entirely by ear. If I don't have a program
for the piano in question in the temperament and octave stretching choice I
want, I can still do it faster, better and cheaper than I can electronically.
It is the SAT's ability to store the data that makes it useful.  But the
storing of that information also requires a substantial investment of time.  I
use that time when I have it and so far, have 80 programs.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin