Mark says "no pitch raise required from 440 to 441"

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 12:30:53 -0600

Hi Mark,

I think the results depend very much on the particular instrument. I
service to Steinway "d" pianos that have wire from 1976 on them. They react
totally differently to pitch changes. One takes it in stride and the other
it touchy almost beyond belief.

This past weekend was a case in point. The newer piano was 18 cents sharp
after not having been tuned since May. The older one was 12 cents sharp
(similar time period). The new one was shaking after the first go and the
old one sounded just fine. I ended up tuning the new 3 times and the old
only 2. Though if perfection were required both instruments would have
required another kick at the can.

At 09:03 AM 11/9/98 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/9/98 8:18:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, magraham@bw.edu
>writes:
>
><<
> What's different in Cleveland?  I don't consider myself an expert or
> particularly good. But I frequently change pitch on pianos in one pass
> with good results and no problems. Why doesn't it work elsewhere?
> Mark
>  >>
>Mark:
>
>Of course it works elsewhere.  Methinks that sometimes persons on this list
>talk doublespeak :that is they will give you the answer they think is proper,
>but do exactly what you, I and hundreds of other technicians do every day.
>Keep up the good work we all know you are doing and weigh some of these
>
>Bob Bergantino
>Cleveland, Ohio

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"