Action Geometry Correction

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:13:06 +0000

I have a customer with a Steinway B, teflon etc. and 6 leads
in the bass keys progressing up to 5 leads in the treble keys.
David Stanwood said the problem is the capstan line.  I have
moved capstans a few times but I want it to look like factory
work.  I find the 2 to 1 ratio spot on the key and change one
capstan.  Unfortunately the wippen/capstan point of contact is
right on the edge of the wippen cushion and moving the capstan
closer to the balance pin will be very woody sounding.  So do I
find a Renner wippen from my kit that extends farther?  Are
there add ons for wippen cushions?  Once I have the right wippen
and have tested a few with happy results, i.e removing lots of
lead do I snap a line with the keys on the keyframe?  Or should
I line them up to a straight edge on the bench before snapping a
line?  Is there a bit type tool for insert the captans using my
drill press?  Lots of questions indeed...

Thanks in advance?

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

David Ilvedson, RPT