Petrof reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 07:13:53 -0500

Hi Dale,
	Just a couple of observations to your post.
	I am not a trained classical pianist.  I had 1 year of piano lessons at
the teachers college I attended and that was that.  Any playing I have
picked up, I do pretty well, considering, I have picked up with 36 years
practice while servicing pianos since then.
	I expect products I buy, power tools and the like, to not need further
tweaking to get them to work as well as they might.
	I have never tuned a Petrof, Bose', Fazioloi, or Hamburg Steinway.  I have
played them but do not feel I have missed anything not having serviced one.
 I prefer the more mass produced pianos.
	It is the customers money I am playing with when I service a piano that is
not up to snuff.  I would rather they buy something that is up to snuff
first than take the chance that it MIGHT NOT be able to be brought up to
snuff.
	When a customer asks me what to look for in selecting a piano ,my advice
is find one YOU like, the way it plays, feels, looks, and cost and then
call me and ask my OPINION.  I can alert them to problems that I have come
across with various makes or models.  I tell then never to take the
salesman's word that their technician can change the voicing to whatever
suits them in their home.  My opinion is that if you don't like it in the
store you are not going to like it at home, regardless of what the salesman
says.  My own belief is that voicing is a temporary thing when it is
changed drastically.
	I don't always recommend the most expensive pianos, nor do I like to
service the more expensive pianos.  I will call it knowing where my own
"plateau of skill" is.  I do not take on action regulating to the utmost
degree as that is not my forte and I stay away from it.
	There are many automobiles that are fantastic machines, but you wouldn't
drive them everyday.  I tend to stay away from the "high maintenance things
and recommend the same to my clients.
	I think, in the end, we are playing with someone else money and I try to
deal in known things.  Some do not like the Yamaha sound.  That is fine,  I
do.  There are some that like European craftsmanship as compared to the
high tech consistency of the Asians.  I fall in the latter group.  I fall
into the group that appreciates rules to follow and I can follow them very
well and it brings order to my life.  Some are more adventurous.  That is
fine.
	If you like trying to tweak these types of instruments, that is fine.
	Again to me, when you pay a lot of money for something, you want it right
when it gets to your home.  I do not want to pay someone more money to make
it like I want and expect it to be.  We all have different opinions and
philosophies, so be it.  Please, let us part friends with different
opinions trying to do what is best for our clients.  You are right in what
you believe and practice as am I.
	Have as nice Labor Day.
I would appreciate any further thoughts you may have on this subject.
Please post me privately so we don't bore our other friends.

James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 St. Louis, MO.
Competent Service since 1962
 Do what is right and do no harm
 Creator of  Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano  Peripherals

pianoman@inlink.com