Size and Sound

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 12:13:03 -0400

Ed, you've already received many responses by the time I saw this. All are
excellent, and all seem to draw the same conclusions. My vote parallels the
others. Follow your instincts, Lu... rather Ed, and get what you really
want. I recommend 'Dap' for easily repairing cracked ceiling plaster.
Here's a short reference story:

I once had a client who's dream was to own a Mason & Hamlin 'CC' (9 ft.) By
careful budgeting and living a simple lifestyle, he finally purchased one.
This young fellow lived in a typical upstairs garage apartment behind
another house. The only room that would accommodate the piano was... his
bedroom. I don't want to think of the logistics involved in getting that
1283 pounds up the stairs and through various turns.

Not deterred by this, come bedtime he prepared a pallet and slept under the
piano! After all, there was still plenty of room at floor level.

On my first visit, I didn't have to look for the apartment. Within a half
block of the address, I began to follow the sound of the piano. See, the
bedroom was also over the garage part, the garage door was open that day,
and the sound firing down through the floor and into the garage projected
for quite a distance. That's also where I first discovered 'Dap'.

At 08:31 AM 9/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
>First, How do you judge the appropriate size piano for a given room. My
>room is long (29 feet) and relatively narrow (12-14) with fairly high
>ceilings. I am torn between the 7 foot piano of my dreams(which I fear may
>be too much piano for the room), the 6'1 that practicality urges and the
>6'4 compromise.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.