Samicks pianos

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:03:53 -0400

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> Hi to everyone:
>
> I've noticed a bit of bashing of the Samick lately. I just thought I'd
> put in a plug for them. For those of you who remember the horrible Horugel,
> They've come a long way baby. Actually I tuned a Console (Continental style)
> last week. It was quite a nice piano. Great duration in the treble. Clean
> sound. I was quite pleased.
>
> I used to sell a piano made by them back in the 80's. I was amazed even then
> at the great duration (even with a laminated soundboard).
>
> Sometimes a manufacturer will make their hammers especially hard thinking
> that this is what the public wants. It usually takes awhile for them to
> get enough feedback to want to make a change. Eventually, the market will
> drive them to improvements. The reaction time is just so slow.
>
> Jim Coleman, sr.

Hi, Jim.  I have two Samicks (vert) that I tune that are nice.  It's the
grands the cause me headaches.  The customers buys 'em, and can't
understand why they sound so bad.

The grand I worked on had very inconsistant bridge pins placement.  I'm
sure that's where lots of those false beats came from. One fellow here
suggested I check string mating and leveling.  Great idea, but this
takes time and the customer doesn't want to pay for the work, after all,
it's a new (3 yrs old and only one tuning)piano.

I just tuned the thing to pitch and now he's screaming. I repaired tight
flanges and damper rail bushings and he was happy with that work, but he
wants to call the samick people to seem if they can fix tone with just
another tuning.

I explained that raising the pitch would brighten the tone slightly, but
that the hard hammers were the real culprit.

So here I am, in a fix because of the piano's design.  Now don't get me
wrong...the price was right for the customer.  I can't blame
Samick...they are filling a need for low-end grands.

Unfortunately, the customer expects too much from the paino, and I have
to convince them that it takes work to get things how they should be.

A real no-win situation when the customer has scrimped to buy a grand.

--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member