Restring Nut

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:21:25 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Use the program and find out something about both. The first thing it ought
> to tell you, after you've put in all the speaking lengths, core, and wrap
> info, is how the tension and inharmonicity is distributed through the piano.
> The simplistic idea of rescaling is mostly smoothing and connecting the
> tension, impedance, and inharmonicity curves through the breaks without
> deviating much from the tensions that were already there. That will make a
> noticeable difference in how the piano sounds and tunes. After you get a
> feel for how it works, you can play around more. You have to familiarize
> yourself with "A", before "B" will make sense. Do a few scales for the
> experience. You don't have to use them in pianos to learn from them. What
> program have you got there, or is it a spreadsheet worksheet?
>

>  Ron N

It is called Scalla15win  or just Scalla.  Interesting that you say to familiarize
myself with A (presumably the scaling) before B (then the board impedance and
such). I had kinda worked up in my head this idea the it should be the other way
around if you get my meaning. Seems like no amount of scaleing will help a bad
soundboard, yet a good soundboard will help a bad scale. Is this faulty reasoning
?..

However I will follow your advice and break it out. I got one foot in the hot tub
already so I might as well hop on in.. grin.

A thousand thanks, once again Ron

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.T.P.F.
Bergen, Norway