Piano wire quality

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:03:58 -0400

I was perusing the Apsco catalog today and stopped for a bit at the =
piano wire page.  They have 3 different products to sell.  They have the =
Diamond brand, the Roslau brand, and the Mapes International Gold brand. =
 (The Roslau comes in tinned wire too if you want it.)

I've used the Roslau tinned.  Never again.  The stuff I had, the plating =
was coming off of the wire, and it sounded terrible.  I've been using =
the Mapes Int. Gold wire for the last year or so, and so far, I like it =
very well.  I would imagine in all fairness, that the Roslau polished =
wire is probably comparable to the Mapes.

Have any of you used the Diamond brand, or had any basis to compare it =
to the other brands of wire commonly available?

The last thing in the world I'd want to 'skimp' on is the piano wire.  =
But by the same token, if the Diamond brand is of comparable quality and =
will perform on a similar level to the other two,  I'm wondering if I =
need to spend the bucks on the more expensive wire.  I don't know.  =
That's why I'm asking.  :-)

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Trout