removing and installing piano plates

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 10:25:44 EST

<< I would like to set up an elegant method of using a lift that will bring
 the plate up safely and in a controlled manner, and can then be easily
 transported away from the piano and set down on my tilting truck.  I know
 that a block and tackle system could be devised with rails for transport,
 but I am more interested in something portable, like a small engine
 hoist.  Keeping the lift controlled is something that I am looking for
 help with, so as to minimize scarring the rim, particularly on re-entry!

 Any helpful ideas are welcomed!

 Happy New Year!

 Mark Potter >>

Mark:

Do you want inexpensive, or do you want prtable. If you want inexpensive, a
block and tackle, or an easy come, hooked up to a beam in one way or another,
is the way to go. Once the plate is clear of the rim, roll the piano out of
the way, and lower the plate onto the titler. I am guessing, but this will
cost you around $100. If you want portability, and are willing to pay for it,
an engine hoist will work great. But that is going to cost you around $1500-
$2000.

I have another way, but it does require a hoist of some sort. I have a rail
bolted to the ceiling, on which I have a upsidedown dolly, on which I have
hooked up an easy come. Once the plate is lfted, I can roll the plate out from
above the piano, and lower it on a set of horses.

WIllem Blees RPT
St. Louis