impedance for 99

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@quantum.com
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 21:59:45 -0800

Ron,
I might be able to save you some time.

BUT...

I've been doing FEA stuff for the past 6 or so years, and to be honest, the
first two or so years didn't contribute much to the improvement in disk
drive design.  Even with the experience I have now, I would guess it would
be a few months of serious modeling  and lab work to be to a point where I
would direct design decisions.  Since this is not a funded project, no
promises.

All that said, work (or play) is now underway.  My first cut was a few
months ago with just a string and the end constraint differences.  Next I
will add a flat soundboard with non-homogeneous material properties to study
the first order coupling of string to board.  Then add crown and, followed

Just remember, NO PROMISES!

doug

PS  Did you ever get the impression that I don't like the word impedance
when discussing mechanical structures  :~)