removing and installing piano plates

Rob Kiddell atonal@telusplanet.ent
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 18:39:56 -0700

> I would like to set up an elegant method of using a lift that will bring
> the plate up safely and in a controlled manner, and can then be easily
> transported away from the piano and set down on my tilting truck.  I know
> that a block and tackle system could be devised with rails for transport,
> but I am more interested in something portable, like a small engine
> hoist.  Keeping the lift controlled is something that I am looking for
> help with, so as to minimize scarring the rim, particularly on re-entry!
>
> Any helpful ideas are welcomed!
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Mark Potter

	The hoist designed by my brother and myself works great, is
inexpensive, portable, and enables you to lift in a controlled manner.

I've posted the design specification on my web page at
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/atonal/hoist.html

 One caveat... use felt-lined sheet metal clips around the rim of the
piano, ensuring that they slide between the plate and the rim when
the plate is at rest... I believe someone already mentioned that!

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@telusplanet.net