Feedback on PTG attendance

Barb Barasa bbarasa@mind.net
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:33:13 +0000

I'm a tech who moved from a big city to a small town. At one point I
was an assoc. member of PTG, and I took and passed the tuning exam
with flying colors. I am not now a member. I was active on the list a
few years ago, but have not subscribed for over a year (until now). I
signed in to ask a question.

In The Big City, about 14 years ago, I do not remember there being
any pressure from the chapter to join the PTG. Of course there was
strong encouragement! And my memory may be fuzzy on this, too.

The very small local chapter (4-6 people usually attend the
meetings) in Tiny Town is debating what kind of policy to put in
place regarding people (like me) who come to meetings who are not
members.  On one side is the attitude that people are "getting
something for nothing" by being allowed to attend without supporting
the organization. Altho it has been suggested that those folks chip
in a small amount of money to cover any costs (mailing of
newsletter, etc.), this does not seem to be the real issue.

On the other side are those who feel that the more all the techs out
there know, the better it is for everyone. (This is the side I'm on.)
I'm more than happy to share what I know (which is quite a lot, but
WAY far from The Greats) with anyone who expresses a desire to learn.
I don't feel threatened by this. And I believe that if the
organization offers techs something they value, and if they can
afford the price, they will join. Eliminating potential members by
force does not seem to me to be an effective way of increasing
membership!

The question: for those of you who attend PTG meetings around the
country (or the world), what is your policy in this area? Can people
attend X number of times, and then they have to join or stay out? If
so, how many times? Or has this issue never come up in your group?

You can respond to me separately at bbarasa@mind.net if you do not
think this is a topic of general interest.

Thanks for your feedback.

Barb Barasa
www.mind.net/piano      (under construction, but lookin' pretty good)

"When nothing is sure,