"chain" bench to school piano

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 08:32:38 -0500

We chained music stands to walls also and the same thing happened.  They
disappeared.  I had been advocating the department purchase cases of
portable stands and sell them at cost to the students.  Their
responsibility and if it disappears _they_ have to replace it.

Benches are a problem everywhere.  My idea was to build boxes of 3/8"
plywood, 15" x 17" x 19", so they can be rotated to different heights
and paint them ugly colors.  With a table saw, plywood  )one side good),
some split 1x2s for cleats and some wood screws and Titebond they will
be easy and cheap to build AND replace.  It is absolutely astonishing
how strong these boxes will be.  The theatre scene shop can do this work
as well.  (I  found many piano benches in theatre spaces.)

I got the ugly color idea from a dance teaching I found spray painting a
black boombox with bright yellow paint.  I asked him why and he said
that it will not be stolen.  He was right, five years later I saw it
being used in a class room.  The unuglified music departmentboomboxes
disappear on a regular basis, every three to six months.

            Newton
            retired from university slavery