Slanted bridge question

Isaac OLEG oleg_i@club-internet.fr
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:06:12 +0100

Ron,

We where talking about the reason for the slant in the treble bridge of some
grand pianos, towards the hitch pin panel i.e; Bösendorfer with a 4 to 8 mm
slant for 200 mm lenght (according to the specs transmitted by the factory).
My friend thought this sland is designed push intentionally the sounboard
(with the pression/ tension of the strings ) in a very small S shape , not
so important than when the sounboard collapsed because of bridge roll i.e.
This S shape would allow a more stable shape behind the bridge.
My personal guess is it have something to do with the downbearing, better
mechanical rendment, more pressure on the front pins on the bridge, or
something like that.
Or would the (curved) bridge be more rigid  with this shape ?

What do you think ?

Thank you

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG
Accordeur - Technicien
Service Concert
17 rue de Choisy - 94400 VITRY sur SEINE
tel 01 47 18 06 98 - 06 60 42 58 77 Fax 01 43 91 01 62
EMail oleg_i@club-internet.fr

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Isaac OLEG.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard