Gold plated strings?

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 20:46:08 -0400

David C. Stanwood wrote:

> Just recieved a Shomacker grand for rebuilding.  This is a really fine
> looking piano.
> everything about it is beautifully designed and executed.  It appears that
> the strings
> were gold or brass plated.  It must have been a thin coating for the
> strings have become
> rusty.  Upon taking the strings off, the shiny new plating shows
> beautifully inside the coil.
>
> Anyone have some background info on these pianos?  A special edition of sorts?

I remember tuning one . . . maybe twenty years ago.  The plating didn't
prevent a string from breaking, so I brought it to a chapter meeting and
then kept it for a while, thinking I might have the plating checked
out.  I think someone else at the meeting had seen one, so there may
still be a few more out there.

Carl Root, RPT