Yamaha electric grand

Ron Giesbrecht rongg@attcanada.net
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 13:20:46 -0500

David, the Yamaha electric grand as you describe it may be a relatively new
Yamaha digital grand model called a GT1, GT2 or GT7...no strings, optic
sensing controls velocity information, 30meg piano sample voice, etc. A much
earlier somewhat portable electric grand was the Yamaha CP70B and CP80 model
which did have strings. I'm going to comment to the various points of your
post assuming this is a GT1 2 or 7 digital grand.

Comments:
A great deal of the "control" that a pianist attains with any amplified
keyboard instrument has to do with how loud the volume control is...If the
volume is on the loud side, the pianist backs off and the touch seems
"light". Alternately, making the amplified volume soft makes the pianist
work harder. The closest comparison I can think of is when a well
regulated/weighted regular piano (built with hammers, strings, soundboard)
still feels "light" or difficult to control to a pianist because the hammers
are hard and are producing way too much volume. In other words the same
effort by the pianist produces too much volume as compared to other
(well-adjusted including voicing) pianos.

I believe releading the keys on any piano should only be considered after a
piano is properly regulated and voiced (I'm talking pianos with real hammers
here of course). Consider that the factory weighting on a new Yamaha is
probably pretty good and within manufacturer's specs - at least I certainly
don't get many calls about too light action adjustments on new Yamaha
grands.

The swing test - use the technique Yamaha uses at the factory  - hold the
hammer shank shank and flange w/screw in place in a straight horizontal
line...the shank should slowly move down when released.

Dealing with friction such as tight balance key holes ...yes. Often this
procedure involves cleaning the balance pins first before using the easing
tool.

Raising the black key height - Yamaha spec. is 12 mm. above whites. I would
suggest not to consider going beyond this until you have addressed your VERY
LITTLE AFTERTOUCH assessment...This is quite probably a major concern for
this pianist (Graduate of piano Bmus), especially since for this digital
grand to feel similarly to a regular grand the aftertouch and total feeling
of action responsiveness has to feel like other grand actions.

The usual regulation aftertouch procedures work well for this
piano...however, if you are considering to change the key height adjustment
considerably, please consider that there is a sensing system under the keys
that could be affected. Checking both the hammer sensor and the sensor under
the keys is also part of regulating this piano. A misadjusted sensor can
possibly result in volume control (velocity) information that isn't correct.

David, If you are needing a service manual please contact me with the exact
model of this piano and your address.

Good luck,

Ron Giesbrecht,
Piano Service Manager, Yamaha Canada Music Ltd.
(416)298-1311 ext.2303
rgiesbrech@yamaha.ca