Room-to-room grand piano move

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 18:17:18 -0500

Carl,

I would get a skid, or at least a long sturdy board.  The piano will be
much easier to tilt, and there will be less chance of damage.

If you choose not to use a skid, tip the piano on its side with pads under
it.  Make sure there is sufficient padding at the keyboard end.  There is
no need to remove the lid if you have a skid, but without a skid, it may be
hard to get a grip on the piano to lift. If you think there will be a
problem, remove the lid. Get one strong person to lift the piano from the
tail (lifting from the keyboard end is asking for a hernia and/or a dropped
piano), one person to slide the dolly under the piano, and one person to
stand at the keyboard end and guard against sliding and tipping.  Position
the dolly about 1/3 the length of the piano from the keyboard end, hold it
flat against the piano while the piano is tilted, then lower the piano onto
the dolly.

Roll the piano where you want it to go.  The most frequent cause of damage
is tilting while on the dolly.  Seems like it shouldn't happen, but it
does.  Pay attention.  At your destination, reverse the process.

A move such as you have described should be simple for two experienced
persons, one strong enough to lift the tail.  Three people may be more than
you need, but if you haven't done much moving, the extra strength and
security provided by the third person will be helpful.

Frank Weston