Update on musty odor

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:07:51 -0500

I'm the originator of the "musty odor" thread and this is an update.  The
owner of the piano lives in a house whose garage faces south and I
suggested that on a real sunny day she have her husband and sons take the
piano out to the garage, remove the kneeboard, fallboard, frontboard and
top and let the sun beat down on it for a couple of hours.  (I walked them
through removing the case parts.) Meanwhile, spray some Tilex on a cloth
and wipe down the insides of the removed parts and the back of the piano.
Then when the sun treatment is over leave the piano in the garage overnight
and direct a fan or two on it.  The sun treatment was done on Saturday and
the piano was returned to its place in the house on Sunday.  Out of
curiosity I asked if I could stop by and witness the result.  Believe it or
not the musty odor was totally gone and the piano owners were very grateful
and did not blink an eye when I explained to them that the piano will need
to be re-tuned in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to all who responded to this situation.

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL