Accu-tip and question

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:56:41 EST

Newton writes:
<<I originally posted this observation, that FAC values, especially the A,
change with the humidity changes from 15% to 85% on the same piano in
the same room.  At a university tuners tune the same piano time after
time after time and some things become obvious in that setting that do
not otherwise.>>

      Hmm. I dunno.  The first example that comes to mind here is a 1910 9'
Chickering with an Al Sanderson scale and rock hard hammers.  This piano is
used in a recording studio and is known as one of the really "hot" country
pianos for recording work here in Nashville.
     I tune this piano about 100-150 times a year, and was tuning the piano
aurally from about 1978 until my SAT arrived in 1992, at which time, I
recorded my working tuning and began using the machine.
   The producers and players have never noticed a difference through all
ranges of humidity over this time, and neither have I.  This may be because
there are none,  or it may (more likely) be that I didn't know where to look
to hear it (:/}}}
    What changes would show themselves aurally ? Does A's inharmonicity go up
or down with a rise in humidity?
(Thinking, What have I been missing...................?.)
Ed Foote