Impact Hammers

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:50:30 -0700

Ken
I used the Mahaffe lever for about 10 years but had mixed results as to
tuning stability and changed to a regular Schaff extension lever 6 years
ago. My tuning stability improved greatly however it was not the because of
having a new hammer but that my use of the impact lever was faulty in that
to settle the string and in using the tool my seating of the pin was not
that great. The last three months I have been using a wand style made by
Mike S and love the lightness and ease that one can move from pin to pin.
Using the wand was made possible  when I got the SATlll with the auto
advance. Before my thumb switch (can not use a foot switch) needed to be
attached to the handle. My old Schaff has been retired in favor of the
wand. I do use an impact lever (my design) that is a T for grand work. IMHO
almost any hammer if used with thought and skill can be used to tune.
Sometimes it seems to be like trying on shoes. You try them until one finds
the correct fit.
Joe Goss