Inharmonicity and humidity

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:03:54 -0500

>  I believe inharmonicity is almost entirely a function of things
>that go on in the string itself.  When the humidity changes as much
>as you cited, the swelling or shrinking of the soundboard requires
>a significant change in tuning pin rotation to maintain standard
>pitch.  This in turn changes the termination point on the string
>at the V-bar or agraffe.  If a small segment of string was
>previously bent at the V-bar, but now is moved out into the
>speaking length of the string because of tuning, that little
>bend could certainly have an effect on the inharmonicity - even
>if it was only 1/16" long.
>
>-Bob Scott
>Ann Arbor, Michigan

This  would mean that one could significantly change the inharmonicity by
leveling the string, which experiment should be easy enough to repeat. This
is a snow (actually an ice) day for me, so I will try this in my shop this
afternoon, post ya later with results. Would raising a pitch 20 or 30 cents
to effect this type of change be cheating? Changing it up and then down again?
 Ken Jankura
 Newburg, PA