Plastic keytop removal

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:52:44 -0500

Lance, celluloid is explosively flammable.  Careful remove and send to
pianotech@ptg.org.  Or you could just put a match to the keytop, they will
disappear in a puff of smoke leaving a nicely charred key to which glue will
not stick almost like teflon frying pans (except mine).

Celluloid deteriates with age and occasionally shrinks which makes it easier
to pry off.  Do not use power tools to remove, just a spark in the saw dust
will set celluloid off with a bang.  Do not use heat for the same reason.

I would send them to a key recoverer so it becomes _their_ problem.  I would
rather tune another piano which takes less time and less energy.

                        Newton