Hide Glue Source

Edward E. Swenson piano@clarityconnect.com
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:29:07 -0400

Regarding Stephen Birkett's remarks about domestic hide glue, I have a few
comments.  The best American hide glue is manufactured by Milligan &
Higgins, now a division of Hudson Industries Corp.  They have operated in
New York since 1868.  They are now located in Johnstown near Gloversville,
NY.  In the 19th century there were hundreds of hide glue manufactures
making glues of different qualities for different purposes.  Some glues were
extracted from animal hides and others were extracted from bones.  Rabbit
skin glue has been used for centuries as a component of gesso, the
foundation for guilding and for preparing canvases for painting.  For
woodworking the best hide glue should be as light and clear as possible.
Dark glues are full of impurities.  Light glues are all glue and hence
provide a better bond.  I use 3X chrome glue from Milligan & Higgins for
woodworking.  This glue is also used by leading violin builders in the
United States.  It is clear, finely ground and only needs to soak for about
twenty minutes before use.  I bought one hundred pounds of this glue several
years ago and have had only excellent results.  Several colleagues in Europe
have asked me to send glue to them, as they can't find anything of such high
quality.  I am always open to suggestions and sources for better products.
If Stephen knows a better glue, I'm the first one who will buy some. By the
way, I occasionally also use the somewhat darker pearl hide glue.  It give
better results for leathering hammers.
Edward E. Swenson
Pianos and Fortepianos
http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages4/piano/