Beech vs Maple- was Boesendorfer bridges

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:28:36 -0700

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Spruce is an inherent design choice material.  Bridges are of beech which
> is a little softer than our maple.  Maple is not as available in Europe
> as is beech.
>                     Newton

Curious-  I was always under the impression that beech was a much harder
wood.  Most drum sticks for instance are made of beech because they take
a lot of abuse and beech seems to be the best material resistant to
breakage.  Correct???  I know beech is a less knoty wood, more uniform
in grain.

Rob Goodale, RPT