Inharmonicity and humidity

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:57:56 -0600

Hi Gregory,
                  If we look at a DB meter we are looking at RMS values,
but it does not seem to have any relationshp to inharmonicity.  For this
type of analysis a spectrum analyser is the best way to go, the ratios of
the partials and the individual inharmonicity and sustain times is needed
to get a complete picture.
  A piano disc or disklavier can be a helpful tool as long as several
repititions are made prior to measurement to prevent errors due to static
friction.
Regards Roger

At 12:29 AM 16/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have designed a very detailed study but need some assistance, in
>understanding what I may get first.
>
>1. Using the PianoDsic system, I can nearly completely control the volume of
>each note, by ear.
>
>2. Drawing a radius around the piano, I can place the digital decibel
meter on
>the radius and monitor changes in volume of the piano.
>
>Question: what room "type" would be best suited for study?
>			A. size
>			b. shape
>Is there a room with known, proven characteristics to rule out room
acoustics?

>I did some work for CBS when they owned Steinway, did a tuning in a
>room...well it was like being in space.
>
>Hey anyone need a spare tin foil hat?
>
>Gregory

Roger Jolly