String Breakage

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:39:17 EST

In a message dated 1/16/99 6:56:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
f.trempe@morehead-st.edu writes:

<< I service a Yamaha grand, G1-J, at an apostolic church.  It has suffered
 several broken bass strings.  In the past I have replaced strings nos.
 11,13,18,20,21,25,30,31,34,and 35, and there may be more.

 Of course, strings break on this piano when the pianist cannot contain
 herself (all of the pianists are female and weigh about 97 lbs.).

 I think what happens is that when the dampers are raised and the string
 is at the top of its vibration envelope another hard blow comes along and
 drives the string even higher.  Breakage is the result.  Am I correct?

 I have increased the let off to reduce power and I have recommended that
 the sustain pedal be disconnected and showed the minister how to do it.

 Any other suggestions?

 Fred

Chances are the type of music they play may have to do with your problem with
string breakage.  We attend a charasmatic church where I service their piano
every month, and tweek strings between services.  They use a full band, and
often the piano is miked, and should there be an improper balances, he or she
plays harder to hear the piano.  I have replaced many strings, even onces I
replaced months ago. I have even seen strings break in concerts, and in the
case of bass strings, fly across the stage. (duck!) In any case, church pianos
tend to have strings break more often.

Being in this contemporary age, many use full bands and the style of music
dictates how hard the piano is played.  I do not know the tension of the piano
you are servicing and that can play into it as well.  I believe an article was
written in the PTG a couple of years ago.  Maybe you archivists can help
locate it.

As for service, increase the letoff, reduce the backcheck distance, and if all
else fails,  check string tension.

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter