Refinishing

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:11:21 -0500

Not using thin wash coats of poly on a soundboard can damp the board slightly.
No problem with case finishes.  A finisher loaded the poly on a M&H AA so it
puddled around the rim.  I didn't like it when I saw it but only groused about
it feebly.  After the piano was strung did I realize the tone was powerful but
of short duration.  I didn't pull the plate again.  The piano went to a church
with an upside down bowl architecture.  The piano could be heard amazing well
and accurately everywhere in this miniature superbowl, even the flaws in the
sound.  It worked well in that environment.

                            Newton