Netiquette

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:53:42 -0500

Dear pianotech,

Pianotech was originally _my_ idea and Tom McNeal took the idea and made
it a reality.  It was originally established to help isolated college
and university technicians with technical problems, faculty and student
problems and work environment problems.  Or anything else a college or
university technician would face, many situations unique to that venue.

Pianotech has evolved, it has a hugh international membership, it has
contributed much to it's members, all members share their knowledge
willingly, the college and university technicians have established their
own list, but pianotech has become what my daughter would call 'nasty".

Pianotech has gotten unpleasant, off mission, has been turned in to the
personal toy of personality, has become non constructive, a means to
denigrate others and is chasing away good people with much to contribute
to us all.

This list is my child and it is time that I chastise those who deserve
chastisement.

I will not name names, YOU know who you are so chill out or leave.  The
rest of us want to learn more about our profession and many of us wish
to contribute our knowledge and experiences to those who can benefit the
most.

If you have nothing of technical value to contribute to the list then do
not post.

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html.  Chapter headings are:

                     Rule 1: Remember the Human

                     Rule 2: Adhere to the same standards of behavior
online that you follow in real life

                     Rule 3: Know where you are in cyberspace

                     Rule 4: Respect other people's time and bandwidth

                     Rule 5: Make yourself look good online

                     Rule 6: Share expert knowledge

                     Rule 7: Help keep flame wars under control

                     Rule 8: Respect other people's privacy

                     Rule 9: Don't abuse your power

                     Rule 10: Be forgiving of other people's mistakes

Please read about netiquette at the above URL because pianotech _will_
conform to it's philosophy or we can loose this forum and become a
moderated list.  This is something none of us wish to see happen but it
is being discussed by the powers that be.

There is a pianotech mission statement but I do not have a copy of it
now because I thought we are superior to other unmoderated lists. If
someone has that statement please post it.

This list WILL conform to common etiquette and common sense.

Even though this is my creation I have, at times, given serious
consideration to unsubscribing because of the unpleasantness of some
individuals.

Again I say, if you have nothing positive to contribute keep your
fingers off the keyboard!  If you must be unpleasant to someone send a
personal message.

"I'm mad as hell and I won't take any more."  If you have a problem with
what I have written then post me in person, not the list.

                Newton J. Hunt
                nhunt@jagat.com
                732-545-9084 voice
                732-545-4925 fax.