Brass rail & new butts

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:07:04 -0500

. . . new butts and the most important thing in his mind was the
buttskin height in relation to the top of the jack.  If that is the same
a little change in the center pin position will be tolerated. . .

The relationship of wippen center, butt center, wippen/capstan contact
point and pivot point of the key are geometry critical to action
performance.

In changing action design these critical values must be maintained.

I did not see Bill Spurlock's article, and I trust his technical
abilities, but butt leather is subject to considerable compression and
after several capstan adjustments any difference may take care of
itself.

Experiment with different variations before committing to making
permanent changes.  Installing a new set of butts is pretty close to
permanent for me.

Del likely has thoughts on this issue.

                        Newton