String Breakage (Reply)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:54:40 -0600 (CST)

>Using the same size wire for a splice is best.  No more than 1/2 size
>different.
*Yep. I already do that.

>Bending wire take out the temper so softening can be a problem.
*The other direction, I think. Work hardening from bending makes it more
brittle. But then it shouldn't pinch in two, should it?

>Not getting the loop tails pointed in opposite directions will cause a
>splice failure.
*Nope, that ain't it. I make "by the book" knots, always have.

>I have had splices fail that I thought should not have.  I always
>attributed it to an oversight of mine, but now you make me think I was
>wrong.
*I spliced wire for a long time without any particular problems. It's just
in the last couple of years that I've been having trouble with breakage when
I pull them up to pitch. I don't think I'm doing anything different,
although it's possible that I could be setting the loops up at slightly
different angles than I used to. I wouldn't think that would be all that
critical though. Incidentally, the break usually occurs in the *new* wire,
even at 1/2 size bigger! Spooky, huh?

>I do not carry lengths of replacement wires, I carry stringing cut offs
>to use a splices.
*I use both.

>A splice a day will keep ignorance away.
>
>Have a nice week all.
>
>                    Newton

*A splice a day!!! Lord, I hope (k)not!

 Ron