Brass rail & new butts

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:25:11 EST

In a message dated 1/17/99 1:02:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, ilvey@jps.net
writes:

<< List,

 I have an action in the shop and was wondering if anyone has
 used the Schaff Pratt-Read butts for a brass rail piano?  Are
 they good enough quality?  Will I rue the day I installed them?
 Should I retrofit for the Renner butts ala Spurlock?  I could
 repin a large portion of them but will be replacing hammers and
 new butts & shanks would be nice...

 Thanks in advance...

 David Ilvedson, RPT
 Pacifica, CA
 ilvey@jps.net

If I understand you right, you want to replace hammer butts in a continuous
brass rail flange system.  The problem I see is that it is difficult if not
impossible to travel the hammers.  Spurlock's method of drilling the rail and
installing new hammer butts with the wood flanges is a much better method.
For your samples, cut the rail each side
in each section before hanging the hammers.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter