Netiquette

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:01:06 -0400

Eugenia Carter wrote:

> I don't know about the other members, but I am one person who does not want
> this list to become moderated. If it does, then it will be diminished so
> much that there sure won't be that much posted on it.

Don't sell the list short.  There are thoughful technical posts on this
list everyday.  That's what we're here for, right?

> Funny how people read different things. I sure don't see where it says
> nothing but technical posts can be made.  I do see where it says that "other
> topics of general interest" are permissible.

The problem is and always has been an agreed upon definition of 'general
interest'.

> It's also funny that if one wants to debate something that isn't technical,
> it's ok because of the necessity to debate. That's why it's ok for me to
> respond to you. :-)

Sure is. . . . .and with sure civility, too, I might add. :-)

> As has been pointed out so many, many times, if you don't like it or aren't
> interested, use that delete key. Much simpler and easier.

If this was a simple solution, then why have so many people left?  The
reason is that 'filter and delete' isn't so simple.

I'll explain why later, . . .. I've got work to do.

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD